Thursday, July 2, 2015

A mask, a song, a book.....


So folks, it's been a long time since I've updated this blog. What have I been up to? The same old-same old really except now both my daughters are in school and doing well there. I have more work as an editor and translator, but am still occasionally teaching and making jewelry. After literally wanting one for years, I finally bought myself a piano, a Roland FP-50 in Liberace-white. I play most nights with the earphones on once the kids are in bed.


Like before, I also have many creative pursuits going on (I asked a student recently if they think there is such a thing as a "hobby person" although I already definitely know the answer to that question!) My latest project is a book on the mask L'Inconnue de la Seine which has inspired me for a long time. Many people find the mask creepy (albeit, it is), but L'Inconnue has also inspired generations of artists, musicians and writers, Nabakov, Rilke and Man Ray among the more famous names. Here's a video I made to promote the project:   

      

That's me singing on the video. I wasn't sure about posting it because my tecnique is definitely not where it should be (years of singing classical make one into quite the perfectionist even if one would rather not be....) But then again, Lieder and art songs were originally composed to also be sung by amateur singers in their homes, so why not? Plus, I was worried I might run into copyright issues if I used Rosa Ponselle's version of Vissi d'Arte like I originally wanted to, something that can be expensive (i.e. hefty fines) in Germany as opposed to a mere slap on the wrist.

To find out more about my book project, click here. Heck, if you feel like, go ahead and pre-order. It's a steal at only $9.99 plus you will only be charged if the book goes into production which, let's face it, is not extremely likely since I'd need to sell a minimum of 750 copies within the next two and a half months. Still, it's worth a try. I've always wanted to write a book. Here's my chance. :)                          

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
As Seen on DelightfulBlogs.com