Thursday, December 10, 2009

Let's Eat Bread Off Of Fruit...


I've never really understood what it is Germans think will happen to you if you eat more than one warm meal a day. I don't think they believe that it will make you sick just that, somehow, it is very very bad. I'm not talking just older people; across the age spectrum I would say most Germans eat a "cold" breakfast (bread rolls with cheese, meat and jam), a "warm" lunch and a "cold" dinner (yep, more bread.) Even Jasper, who is by no means a "typical" German, usually can't handle eating a warm meal in the evening (though he does like a nice "American" breakfast of bacon and eggs on occasion.) As far as I know, Germans are one of the only nationalities who think about the temperature of their food in this way. If there is another (non-German speaking) country where they also do this, I would be curious to hear about it...

Anyway, if you are go
ing to eat a boring "cold" breakfast (as you can see, even after ten years I haven't really adjusted...) you may as well do it with these amazing 60s vintage retro breakfast tablets I've posted in my shop Schaufenster. Besides their great kitschy flair, these breakfast tablets are unusual because they are shaped like the fruit they resemble (breakfasts tablets are usually rectangular.) Na, guten Appetit! ;)

2 comments:

Constanze said...

I really like to read your observations about Germany. It is revealing and funny to see things from a different angle. The german "Abendbrot" is a habit I find a little strange myself. Since school I'm not at home around lunchtime, and so I don't have a proper "Mittagessen", just a little snack, and instead a warm meal later in the evening.
I think especially older people consider a warm meal after 6 p. m. unhealthy - not good for your sleep and your digestion in general. At last there's always much complaining after trips to spain or greece, where people eat much later. And when visiting grandma and sleeping a little longer, breakfast (around 9.30) is immediately followed by a big Mittagessen at noon (the word "lunch" just doesn't catch it).

Schaufensterbabe said...

Thanks for your comment. It's nice to hear the perspective of a German other than my husband who usually just says "That's just the way it is." :)

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
As Seen on DelightfulBlogs.com