Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Getting Inspired at the Naturkunde Museum

Because Miss Mia and Baby Li love it and it's only a quick U-Bahn ride away (and it only costs 6 Euros to get in), I've been spending a lot of time in the Museum für Naturkunde these days (The Museum of Natural History.) The museum is in an amazingly colossal, somewhat creepy Victorian building (but then I find most Victorian things kind of creepy...) and beautifully done, so I always liked it well enough. But still, the place also seems kind of, well, dated; I mean, I could be wrong, but I just don't think taxidermy is the wave of the future. After the fourth visit or so, however, I realized what amazing photographs you could take there. There are so many intense subjects mainly in front of neutral backgrounds. The only problem is you would need a tripod for most of them because the light is so poor. I asked one of the security ladies if I could take photographs with a tripod and she told only if I had a special pass. But photography in general is allowed. Today Jasper and I went there with the babies and I brought my camera along just to see what I could do. Like I already imagined, many of the photographs were too blurry, but some of them did turn out. Here are a few of the ones I like:





Still, I definitely don't feel like I'm done with the place inspiration-wise. I think I will find out what it takes to get this "special permission" pass to use a tripod. Maybe it's just a formality and not anything that costs any or much money. We'll see...

2 comments:

Karen/Small Earth Vintage said...

The photos you included here are terrific! I agree that taxidermy is not the wave of the future. But I recently went to a more new-fangled natural history museuum, one with animatronic animals and humans that made noises or spoke as you walked by...and I vastly prefer the dark, dusty, outdated taxidermy! Even if it makes me a little sad.

Schaufensterbabe said...

Thanks Karen. Animatronic animals and humans. Ok, taxidermy is definitely way better than that. That almost sounds like Natural History meets Disneyland!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
As Seen on DelightfulBlogs.com