Monday, December 20, 2010

White Christmas

A true-blue native Berliner, my ex-husband's mother used to complain about just about anything. One of her favorite complaints every year was our lack of a White Christmas. "Na, typisch. Schon wieder kein Schnee zu Weihnachten. So is' det Leben."

One Christmas Eve we woke up to find the garden covered with a blanket of snow. But my ex-mother in law still found a way to complain about it. "Tja, endlich!" It's about time....

I've lived in Berlin for almost 11 years, but except for last year, that was my only White Christmas. Most other years it rarely snowed and, when it did, the snow only stayed on the ground for a couple of days.

But last year there was such a crazy amount of snow for so long and this year seems to be going in the same direction. I took a jaunt through the local graveyard again today on my way to the U-Bahn to get Jasper a frame for his Christmas present (Shhh...Don't tell!)

It's the same graveyard from the post a couple of weeks ago, so you can see how much snow has fallen since then. You might be expecting me to complain, since I've definitely been vocal about how much I hate winter. But actually, I'm loving it and this although my back is constantly aching because of all the buggy pushing/sleigh pulling through the sludge (oh how German of me to complain about such things!)

Glühwein, sledding, icicles, oh my! ;)

6 comments:

petoskystone said...

what a lovely holiday-card photo! :) when my back hurts, i complain, but mostly use it as an excuse to sit down & grump over it. back injuries are hard to heal from, be careful! ah, the weather...it lends itself so easily to complaints & blame.

Karen/Small Earth Vintage said...

Beautiful--looks like a set for one of the Christmas Carol films!

Tatiana Kontouli said...

I love snow! :)
Beautiful photos!

Schaufensterbabe said...

Thanks everyone. Merry Christmas! :)

Laura said...

What cuties!

I was amazed by the very, very white christmas this year. However, I'm also glad it's now melted. Almost feels like spring.

ps- we were in Berlin right after Christmas!

Laura in Ludwigsburg

Schaufensterbabe said...

Thanks Laura! Hope you had a nice time in Berlin. :)

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
As Seen on DelightfulBlogs.com