Wednesday, August 12, 2009

A Question of Entertainment....

Since I'm going a little bit crazy here in Babyland as mentioned in my previous post, I am desperate for new ways to entertain myself. One of the ways I've found is a four letter word (not the only one I'm saying these days in my darkest, burnt out mama moments, though I DO mutter them to protect young ears... ;) ): namely, ebay. I have quite a long history with ebay here in Germany (never did get to use it in the U.S., though my brother had a side business there for a while selling stuff from The North Face he had bought at the local retail outlet...). I bought pretty much all of my furniture there for my last apartment- great, vintage stuff at amazing prices. A good portion of the furniture Jasper and I bought together is also from there. Still, the site has gone down. Too many power sellers selling too much cheap Asian junk. The days when it was nothing more than a virtual garage sale are long gone....



Still there is some fun to be had with it. I like to go to the antiques/vintage section and browse through the hundred
or so categories they have there. Although I personally don't NEED anything, I've been buying various things for my etsy shop Schaufenster to add to the vintage section. Yes, the name Schaufenster (German for shop window) is why this blog is called Schaufensterbabe. I originally started the blog as a promotional tool for my shop, but seriously, who wants to write (or read) about some new piece of crap I've made? The blog soon started to become personal, a sort of public journal if you will....


Anyway, it's been a lot of fun seeing what I end up with. The whole trick to ebay, of course, is to bid for what you want in the last minute so as not to drive the price up. I am the master of this (it is a bit like warfare, but you have to be careful that you don't go above your own limit and end up spending too much, or at least more than you wanted...) but since I am not buying for myself I just put in the bid for how much I want to pay and then wait to see what happens. I get some pretty funny e-mails: You've just been overbid on the vintage raw wood marionette head of lucifer; Congratulations! You are now the proud owner of five original bra advertisements from 1965! The photographs scattered throughout this post are some examples of recent finds, with more yet to come. Not bad as a distraction from the woes of 24 hour double motherhood, I must say!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
As Seen on DelightfulBlogs.com